- Are Kids Wish Network's financials audited?
- In an effort to provide our donors with timely and accurate information, Kids Wish Network voluntarily undergoes an annual audit of our financial records by an independent accounting firm. Additionally, to ensure the accuracy of expenses for each individual wish we fulfill, auditors perform the same rigorous auditing standards. Upon request, Kids Wish Network will gladly provide private citizens and organizations the same information reported to the charity regulating agencies.
- Can I donate anonymously?
- Yes, we recognize that many of our donors, whether individuals, corporations or celebrities, may choose to help our wish kids without public recognition. All requests for privacy are strictly adhered to.
- Can I make a donation to Kids Wish Network on behalf of someone else?
- Yes, if you would like to make an honorarium or memorial gift, you may do so on our web site by clicking on the yellow "Donate Today" button at the top of the site. An email and/or letter notification will be sent to the recipient of the gift, along with your personal message. For more information, please call 888-918-9004. If you prefer to mail your contribution, print this form and mail it along with your check or money order to:
Kids Wish Network
Attention: Development Department
4060 Louis Avenue
Holiday, FL 34691
- Can we sponsor a wish child in our area?
- Yes, simply go to the Meet our Wish Kids section of our website and click on a child in your area. If you do not see a child listed in your area, e-mail or call the Development Department on our toll free number at 888-918-9004, and we will be happy to assist you in selecting a child in need of your help. Please note that for privacy reasons all of our wish kids are not posted on our website. Additionally, the status of current wishes changes daily.
- Does Kids Wish Network use professional fundraising companies?
- Kids Wish Network operates nationally from one location. Having one office ensures consistency and quality of the services we provide to thousands of deserving children and pediatric facilities nationwide. Because of an incredible demand for our pediatric programs, the majority of our staff focuses on implementing these programs. As such, we’ve enlisted the help of several professional fundraising organizations to help ensure the continuance of our services and programs. Our professional fundraisers are selected based on strict criteria to ensure quality services and compliance with laws in all areas.
Most importantly, we require the fundraisers to ask each contact if they know of a sick child in their area who would benefit from our services. Our fundraisers assist us in discovering 30% of our wish kids.
- If I want to make a larger donation, how much will benefit the kids?
- Kids Wish Network created the Guardian Angel Fund, which was initiated with a grant from the Wal-Mart Foundation, to specifically and uniquely address concerns of donation distribution. Any donation may be directed to this fund, of which 100% of the donation will be used directly for program services. Our donors who name Kids Wish Network as beneficiary in their will or estate plan direct their gift to the Guardian Angel Fund.
- Is Kids Wish Network governed by an over-sight reporting agency?
- As a 501(c) (3) charitable organization, the Internal Revenue Service requires Kids Wish Network to file an annual 990 informational return which is open for public inspection and can be viewed at www.guidestar.org. In addition, Kids Wish Network is registered with and complies with the laws governing charitable organizations in all 50 states. Each state has individual requirements and oversight agencies. Our non-profit foundation was organized in the State of Florida and the agency responsible for oversight of our charitable solicitation and registration is Florida's Division of Consumer Services. They can be reached toll free at 1-800-435-7352.
- Is Kids Wish Network registered with the Better Business Bureau?
- From inception, Kids Wish Network has proudly kept administrative costs below 5%. In order to keep these costs to a minimum we do not subscribe to reporting services from organizations not sanctioned by a government oversight agency, i.e. the BBB or other consumer unions who often require listing fees. Additionally, when evaluating charitable organizations, a number of these bureaus do not subscribe to commonly accepted accounting principles when evaluating charitable organizations. State agencies were expressly set up to provide consumer protection, at no cost to the foundation or our supporters, and we feel they provide the most direct, accurate and unbiased information available. If you are unsure about how to contact your state agency, please contact us.
- What is the average cost of a wish?
- The cost of a wish varies dramatically from child to child depending on the type of wish they choose. If you were to take the direct costs spent on wishes and divide it by the number of wishes an organization performs, you could calculate an average of the direct costs per wish. This figure, however, does not include the time any paid staff members devoted to the wish or the overhead necessary to conduct support operations. Kids Wish Network is unique in that all wish files are audited and reviewed independently, therefore you can rely on the accuracy in the numbers of wishes granted and the cost of those wishes.
We are able to keep our wish costs substantially low by actively seeking participation of the business community not only through cash donations, but also by donating goods and services to help fulfill individual wishes whenever possible. We believe seeking their active involvement is worth the extra time and effort, both from a community spirit standpoint as well as being able to better manage funds to help more kids, when it becomes necessary to buy direct to fulfill a child's wish.
FY 2009 IRS Form 990 - File Size: 7.71 MB, File Format: PDF