State: Omaha, NE
Facility: Nebraska Medical Center
Joe is a 15-year-old patient who was accidentally burned on his back. He was facing away from the stove in his home, where his cotton shirt caught fire. Joe received 3rd degree burns to 9% of his body, and was skin grafted earlier this week. As a child, Joe was bounced around through many foster homes before he and his twin were adopted at the age of four by his adoptive parents. Reportedly as a young child, his biological mother tried to burn down the family home which causes him to become panicky when near fire or if he smells smoke. Upon discharge he will continue to return to the burn clinic for follow up dressing changes and wound evaluations. Joe has been a trooper throughout his treatment, and has proven to be a very nice, respectful and cooperative patient. This patient has endured much in his lifetime and has met all challenges with a positive focus.